The Beginning of A Pregnancy

One year ago I found out I was pregnant. I know that I have an infant and life seems to go by MONTHS at a time now, instead of days, but it really doesn't seem like a year ago. It seems like 15 years ago. Let me explain.

Hubs and I talked about planning a pregnancy. Since we are (a bit) outside the prime baby making years we definitely had a talk about the possibility of not ever being parents. We were firm on the details... if we were to "get pregnant" that would be cool; if we didn't, that would be fine too... and we were not going to have any medical intervention. So IVF was off the table for us. We were just going to try and see what would happen. And guess what? We tried for a year and nothing happened. Not a thing. Month after month it seemed like our want for a baby increased and we were shot down time after time. It was sad. By July 2015, after 13 months of trying, I set up an appointment with my gynecologist to make sure that we should keep trying. Appointment was set for August 20.

2015 was a year of transition for hubs and I. There were a lot of changes afoot around these parts: we had a death in the family, I quit my job, we took several trips in very quick succession. All the while we were trying to conceive a baby. Crazy times, friends. My last trip was to Detroit to visit a friend for her birthday. Because of our travel schedule I was feeling a bit run down, but there was no way I was missing this birthday party! Travel time by car from Columbus to Detroit is about 4 hours. Four hours in the car, singing to myself with the windows down sounded like a dream. I could make it, right? Uh, nah. I was so tired on that trip. I was convinced that I was coming down with something. I made it, we had girl's night, I slept like a bump on a log. I thought a night of great sleep would enable me to make it back to Columbus. I made it back but I felt like I had been hit by a truck.

I was so tired, y'all. I stopped for some dinner before going back home. I talked to hubs as soon as I got home. I told him that I thought I was coming down with something, but just to be sure, I would take a pregnancy test... our LAST pregnancy test. I peed on the stick (there has to be a better way to test for pregnancy at home... those sticks leave a lot to be desired, if I'm being honest), washed my hands, put a paper towel over the test and went to wait with hubs. I don't know about y'all but the three minutes you have to wait to check a pregnancy test seem like FOREVER. It did seem to take a while and as hubs and I walked into the main bathroom together, I swear a calm came over me. Good thing a calm came over me because we would learn that day that our lives would be forever changed, in such a great way. August 16, 2015-- truly the first day of the rest of our lives!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birth Story: Part II

Bad Girl

That’s Mama Music