Baby Shower Drama

Welcome March! It seems like it was just yesterday I was heavily pregnant, praying for a safe delivery and a healthy baby. It wasn't yesterday... it was a year ago. One year and two weeks ago, we had a lot going on-- it was the first weekend we had free (we travel a lot to see one of my brothers play basketball), we took a baby care class (and yep, we were the oldest folks in that class) and we had a baby shower!! 

Baby showers are a huge deal. I didn't know that prior to getting pregnant. I mean, I had been to showers before, but I had never had to be hands on during the planning process. I just showed up, usually with diapers, cruised the dessert table and hung out with all the not pregnant people. Cool, right? Well, last year, I found out what baby showers are truly all about. First, I had to get invitations. I will make a different post dedicated to invitations, just know that it is a process. An intense process. I had to REGISTER for gifts, figure out a guest list, help with planning and veto stupid shit. All of these things with an ever expanding body, fingers swollen like sausages and an excess amount of hormones coursing through my caffeine deprived veins. Needless to say, I was... difficult. Sometimes. 

As far as vetoing stupid shit-- it was mostly games. I really let my mom and my sister run with the baby shower stuff, but my one stipulation was... I am NOT going to play stupid games. Like that one where you melt different chocolate bars in diapers, have people taste the melted mess and guess which candy bar it is. Uh, hell no. I can't stomach that suggestion NOW-- so when I was pregnant there was NO way that was going down. My sister, who is more than just a little addicted to Pinterest, found a happy medium. I was grateful, especially since my baby shower was full of a room of ladies that were 35+ years of age. Not only did she find games but she also found food ideas. Win, win for the temperamental pregnant lady!! 


That leaves us with the registries. I felt like I was getting married all over again... except this time I was just registering for stuff for a small, helpless, possibly hairless little turtle. I have to admit, it was fun to register for the little, tiny clothes and hats. I will caution y'all-- babies are only really little for a VERY short time. Don't be short sighted... register for everything from newborn to 12 months. Just do it, trust your girl! Personally, I registered at Target and Amazon, because they are places I routinely spend my money, they give you free stuff (I will write about that in a later post) and they have the same stuff as the expensive baby stores, at a lower price. Another win. Best gift I got? Something I didn't even register for-- it was a diaper cake. It had 3 different sizes of diapers making up the "cake". Combine all those diapers with the gift cards we received and Lefty and I didn't have to pay out of pocket for diapers until Baby K was almost 7 months old. SEVEN MONTHS, y'all. That is a miracle. Here are a few pics of our shower-- I will say, I wanted to skip out on this pregnancy tradition and I am super glad that I did not! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birth Story: Part II

Bad Girl

That’s Mama Music