That’s Mama Music




Generally, I am off mom duty for about an hour and a half on Wednesday. Every Wednesday hubs packs a very excited ballerina into the car with a bag containing two different pairs of shoes- ballet and tap. I watch them pull out of the garage and *run* back to my (still) hot cup of coffee. As I slowly sip my magical concoction, I mentally prepare for the day, grateful to have some time away from my little sunshine. I drink my coffee while it is hot. I make lists for the next few days. I pick something to clean in the house. If I am feeling really fancy, I will throw together something for lunch, which would technically be my breakfast because I have a fucked up eating/sleeping/living situation. (Just so you know, I don’t generally feel really fancy... because I would rather soak up the silence than eat.)

These are the things that happen on Wednesday. Every Wednesday EXCEPT today. Today, schedules collided, hubs had shit to do and mama had to take Little Miss K to dance class. I was a dance mom. For an hour and a half. It was excruciating. That is a story for another day, though. Let me just tell you what happened on the way to the dance studio, so y’all can see exactly where this day started.

Now we all know that when mama drives she listens to HER type of music or a book, depending on how far a trip we are taking. For preschool I can get a good 20 minutes of book listening in, so audiobook it is! The dance studio is closer though, so we get in and I switch on the radio for some tunes on the way. When were exactly three minutes from the house a Rick James classic streamed through my car’s speakers and, without even thinking about it, I joined in on the singing because... Rick freaking James, right!?

No. Not right. Listen mamas... when your kid asks WHY about everything, that is NOT the time to give her a car concert featuring your best stylings on Rick James’ Superfreak. “Why you can’t take her home to mama?” “Why him her all time favorite?” “Why she yike the boys in a band?” “Why she on the street?” “Why mama!?”

Yea, why did you do that to yourself, mama??

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birth Story: Part II

Bad Girl