Maternity Tour, Necessary?

My Facebook Memories just informed me that around this date last year, hubs and I were on our way to our chosen hospital for a maternity tour. Fun and excitement, right? I mean you are anywhere from five to fifteen weeks to meeting a little person that looks like you, so why not go see where this being is going to be delivered? Don't you want to see a mock up of the room where your Labor and Delivery nurse will take a crying blob, with your husband's nose and a head full of amniotic fluid soaked hair, and place it on your chest? Good concept... the actual visit though? Uh, no. 

So, I LOVED my hospital experience, I loved the staff, I wanted my daughter to be born at The Ohio State University hospital (just like I was, and my sister... and my mom). What i didn't like was the fucking maternity tour--stay with me here. I wanted to make sure that I did all the "mom to be" stuff, especially after hubs and I decided that Baby K was going to be an only child, so I was completely up for this tour... or so I thought. When we went on this tour of the baby floors I was approximately 30/31 weeks pregnant. Dude, listen: I enjoy information as much as the next person, but huffing and puffing around a hospital for an hour? Oh, no thank you.

We stood around while they told our support people where to park when we come in on delivery day. [Sidenote: who the hell is going to remember that in the heat of the moment? I mean, I had a scheduled c section, so hubs remembered where to go, but I was also have contractions, so even he was frazzled. Could not imagine thinking about where to park if birth was happening in the car... Back to the story]. We walked around to the elevators that go directly to the baby floor. We walked around to see the different kind of rooms on the baby floor (minus the surgical rooms, so that was a surprise when I gave birth). We walked and walked and walked. See the theme?

Ma'am or sir in charge of maternity tours (everywhere, not just OSU), let's come to the conclusion that having heavily pregnant women traipsing around hospital grounds for a hour *may not* be the most enjoyable way for them to spend a Sunday afternoon. I mean, we were all nearing the end of our pregnancy, how about breaking out some big kid go carts, or even some motorized wheelchairs? Listen y'all, I felt a bead of sweat travel the length of my spine about halfway through this tour. The waddle, red face and heavy breathing = not a good look for your girl. I needed a nap after that shit, no lie. Ok, food then a nap.


Would I do it again? Eh... possibly. Around week 25, when you are still able to walk normally. Did any of you enjoy your maternity tours? Would you tell newly pregnant ladies that it is a must do?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birth Story: Part II

Bad Girl

That’s Mama Music