The Woman With A Plan

This probably should have been my very first post, so y'all would know exactly HOW I got suckered into this thing called pregnancy. But, truthfully, I am a little backwards sometimes, so the fact that it ISN'T my first post on this blog is kind of apropos. I find that since this pregnancy hasn't been all sugar and spice, I am... a complainer. Plus, I have ALWAYS said in the past (and my friends have reminded me) that I really wasn't the kind of person to have children. I don't really like kids. Well, ok-- I like being the cool older person/babysitter/auntie figure... and then I like leaving and going back to my home, which is lazy and silent (besides the dogs barking and the infrequent meows from the cat). So what made me want to give up my fantastic house silence for the hustle and bustle of having a kid?? The truth? I was plied with alcohol. Seriously.

Picture it: Spring, 2014. I got a text message from one of my college buds-- she wanted to meet up for drinks and small plates. I was always down for a nice glass of wine and food (especially the food) so of course I agreed. We meet at this cute little place in the suburbs and shoot the shit for a bit. I was half a glass in before I realized that I was being set up. We were talking about our families and how everyone was doing and then she says (I swear to God) "I think we should start trying to get pregnant so our kids can grow up together."

**Cue the record scratch**

Ma'am, what? I had been married for almost 6 months. Six. She and her boyfriend had been together for a while and her rationale was 1- we weren't getting any younger, 2- who wants to go through motherhood alone and 3- we should do it while we can (that is the old person's version of YOLO, just in case you were wondering). Call me a skeptic, but I had questions. I mean, what if only one of us could actually get pregnant and more importantly, what if that ONE was ME?!? What if neither of us could get pregnant? What if our spawn turned out to be hellions? If you knew us in college, you would know that assessment would be completely possible-- and who wants to be responsible for unleashing that on society? More importantly my number one question was WHY??? Sincerely, I was  on my way to turning 37 years old and she was going to follow six months later. That seems a little old in MY mommy book to be trying to procreate. "That's why we should do it together," she said. "It will be fun," she said. "Our kids would be best friends," she said.

Truthfully, I sent my husband a text that read "when you get home from work, remind me to tell you about the crazy shit that Susie just tried to rope me into." Y'all, I was not having it. I mean, all of our friends were already tenured professors in mommy hood and I was not trying to be 40 and pregnant. That wasn't my deal. I did have a detailed discussion about the whole deal with the hubs and we decided together that we would TRY for a certain length of time and if it didn't happen naturally, we would continue through life as cool, old, non-parents-- and we were both ok with that. From that moment on I became a woman with a plan. A plan to get pregnant, lord help us all.

It took us a while-- almost to the end of our self imposed window of time, but here we are, expecting a kid in three months or so. And, yes, Susie is expecting her child at the end of this month. So they can grow up together... as planned.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birth Story: Part II

Bad Girl

That’s Mama Music