The Calm Before The Storm

It is early. As in, the sun is barely up. I know that most people are up and moving around this time, but we don't generally see early morning in this house. Hubs works second shift (usually home around 2 or 2:30 am) and we have a little human that likes to play when she should be sleeping. It is early and I am awake. Awake, drinking coffee and taking it all in.

This blog will tell you the funniest or weirdest events that happen on our journey of parenthood-- and there will be plenty of stories because hubs and I are old, first time parents with smart mouths and no real experience, but today... today I will fill you in on what I see in these wee hours.

The house is (mostly) silent. The (three) dogs have been outside for their morning bathroom break, so they are sleeping again. The loudest one is the chihuahua- she snores like an old man. It still amazes me that such big sounds come from a six pound dog. The cat is roaming the house like a black panther-- looking for prey to pounce on. Sounds like he found a June bug on the sliding glass door because I can hear him swatting the glass along with intermittent low volume meowing. Hubs is in the guest room (because sleep deprivation should only slowly kill one of us). I can hear him toss and turn on the stiff sheets. Lucky guy. I am suddenly super excited that I will get to sleep in this weekend while he takes care of Baby K (long holiday weekends, for the win)!

I am sipping coffee with just a little too much cream and slightly bouncing up and down on the bed in order to soothe the (super cute) baby laying next to me in bed. I can hear her soft little grunts over the sound of my fingers hitting the keys on this laptop and I'll tell you what, staring at a baby... YOUR baby, will make you believe in miracles. Doing first time mom shit, like watching her breathe, smiling at her little snorts/snores/grunts, looking at her little hands open and close, watching her smile in her sleep (holy shit, that is one of THE most beautiful things ever; I don't care who you are). She does this cute little dance move when she is sleeping, left leg up, left arm up, grunt (two times), both arms up like she is conducting an orchestra. Over and over again. It is spastic and totally adorable. I laugh at the thought of her growing up to be a rockstar and employing these baby dance skills. A big yawn and an even bigger toothless, goofy grin. Super cute. Like, baskets full of puppies cute... UNTIL she rolls to the right, grunts and I can hear her fill up her diaper. Then, not so cute at all.

Ah, my mom day has begun. Happy Wednesday, y'all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birth Story: Part II

Bad Girl

That’s Mama Music